Re: [logs] firewall logging and rulesets

From: Bill Mathews (billford@private)
Date: Tue Oct 21 2003 - 19:02:27 PDT

    Check Point logs the rule number (there are no rule names in CP) but since
    the rule number changes every time you insert or delete a rule, so 6
    months to a year it won't be very helpful.  The way I do it is to use
    Check Point's API to document my rulebase in a text file and time/date
    stamp it (also keep it in CVS). That way, when / if I need to review the
    logs, I have documentation from what the rulebase looked like that day. CP
    now has revision control built in so it's a little easier but I still like
    the CVS for the text file. IPTables logs everything to syslog unless
    otherwise instructed.
    --
    Bill Mathews
    Open Source Software Advocate

    The wise and noble Tina Bird spiteth forth upon the land, these thoughts: