Re: [logs] stupid question about facility and level

From: Tina Bird (tbird@precision-guesswork.com)
Date: Fri Oct 24 2003 - 18:50:24 PDT

    On Sat, 25 Oct 2003, Greg Black wrote:

    > > How do I make syslog record facility and level when it records a message?
    > > Looks like Solaris syslog does it by default, but darned if I can figure
    > > out how to do it on any of the Linux or *BSD variants.
    >
    > A few seconds with syslogd(8) on FreeBSD would tell you that -v
    > is the answer to this; more than one -v gets you more info.
    >
    > I don't use the other systems, but doubtless their manuals would
    > provide the answers.

    don't have a freebsd box to check.

    i checked the man pages on solaris and openbsd before i posted the
    message.  they don't have a "-v" option.

    and near as i can tell, having finished my quick read of the syslog-ng
    documentation and FAQ, the only way to get that info out of syslog-ng is
    to use the FACILITY and/or LEVEL macros in file names.

    more info eagerly awaited -- t.