Re: [logs] stupid question about facility and level

From: Rainer Gerhards (rgerhards@private)
Date: Mon Oct 27 2003 - 09:46:38 PST

    On Sat, 2003-10-25 at 03:27, Tina Bird wrote:
    > Hi all --
    >
    > I'm having no luck tracking down this bit of trivia.
    >
    > How do I make syslog record facility and level when it records a message?
    > Looks like Solaris syslog does it by default, but darned if I can figure
    > out how to do it on any of the Linux or *BSD variants.

    The sysklogd package that comes with (many/most/some?) Linuxes does NOT
    support this. Also, "-v" spits out version information with it. I just
    checked the source. Patching shouldn't be terribly bad (modify logmsg()
    and fprintlog()). If there is urgent need, I have eventually time to
    provide a patch. My sysklogd based rsyslog will be available around
    december for a preview and it will come with a configurable file format.

    Rainer