Re: [logs] intrusion detection and log analysis [was: book advice]

From: Jason Haar (Jason.Haar@private)
Date: Tue Nov 04 2003 - 02:22:38 PST

    Tina Bird said:
    >> As for Rodney's comment:  For Network based ISDs, I think we need to
    >> not look at attacks, but look at abnormal traffic.  EG: my web server
    >> should not do dns lookups.  My mail server should not be ftping out.
    >> Nobody should be sshing/tsing into the DB server in the DMZ.   My
    >> server should only send SYNACKs on port X,Y and Z.
    >>
    >> I'm pretty sure that snort could be made to do this - - but it doesn't
    >> do this today without some major rule foo.

    We're doing that right now with Snort. It works well - within a
    well-defined environment such as a DMZ - where hosts tend to be a bit more
    formally managed. In fact we have generalized the (snort) rules to alert
    whenever the IDS sees outgoing connections from *any* DMZ host that isn't
    a list of acceptable ports and/or end-hosts. i.e. we allow DMZ hosts to do
    Windows Update and talk to Redhat up2date servers - but we alert when they
    attempt any other outgoing connection. We have several networks with the
    same rules on, and it only triggers once every few weeks - when an admin
    decides to go do something on the web from a DMZ console... (followed by
    emails to a bunch of people apologizing for getting them paged for no good
    reason ;-). It works well because it has no False Positives - but it does
    have such false alarms :-)

    Jason Haar