[logs] log analysis survey

From: Jim Prewett (download@private)
Date: Mon Feb 02 2004 - 16:27:10 PST

    Hi,
    I'm working on a log analysis application and am looking for some guidance
    in terms of development prioritization.  I've written the following survey
    to help me to understand what people are looking for in an app.

    I would really appreciate any responses to this survey.  Also, if you see
    a question that is glaringly not present, I'd love to know that as well.

    Thanks in advance,
    Jim

    Log Analysis Survey:
    (please note that I use the term "message" to indicate a single line of
    information from a log file or whatever).

    How do you want to match messages?
    1. regexps
    2. string equality (or sub-string equality)
    3. length
    4. all of the above
    5. others (please specify)

    Do you need to analyze message that are:
    1. character data such as ASCII strings (that stuff syslogd spits out :)
    2. Binary data
    3. both
    4. neither (do tell! :)

    What do you want to do with messages once matched?
    1. print them to the screen
    2. email them to an administrator
    3. store them in a database
    4. run a program (potentially with the message as input either on the
    command line or via a pipe)
    5. more than one of the above
    6. others (please specify)

    How do you want to analyze your logs?
    1. in real-time
    2. off-line
    3. a mixture of the above

    Do you want to generate reports?
    1. for an administrator
    2. for management
    3. both
    4. neither

    How many log messages do you recieve for a "big machine" or a larger
    network (whatever those mean to your shop)?
    1. less than 100,000 per day
    2. 100,000 / day - 999,999 / day
    3. 1,000,000 / day - 9,999,999 /day
    4. 10,000,000 or more per day

    How many machines are on this network (reporting to a single log host)?
    1. less than 256
    2. 256 - 1024
    3. multiple class C networks
    4. class B network or larger

    What do you use for a log analysis machine for this "big machine" or
    network?
    How fast is the processor/are the processors?
    1. less than 1Ghz
    2. 1 - 2 Ghz
    3. more than 2 Ghz
    How many processors are there?
    1. 1
    2. 2
    3. more than 2
    How much RAM is there?
    1. 0 - 256M
    2. 256 - 1024 M
    3. 1024 - 4096M
    4. more than 4096M

    (OPTIONAL) What application do you use for log analysis on this network?
    1. Logsurfer
    2. SEC
    3. Swatch/Wots
    4. custom perl
    5. grep/awk
    6. vendor supplied
    7. other (please specify)

    Do you currently attempt to correlate log events?
    1. yes
    2. no

    Is this machine dedicated to log analysis?
    1. yes
    2. no (please specify other applications this machine is used for)

    Does this machine feel:
    1. overloaded
    2. about right
    3. under-utilized

    This machine will be upgraded:
    1. as soon as I have a compelling reason
    2. a year or two
    3. when this one goes south
    4. We don't have any money, so when pigs fly... :)

    How important is a dynamic ruleset (a configuration that can be modified
    at run-time)?
    1. not very important
    2. moderately important
    3. very important

    How important is a GUI configuration tool?
    1. not very important
    2. moderately important
    3. very important

    How important is a web-based GUI configuration tool?
    1. not very important
    2. moderately important
    3. very important

    How important is a command line interface?
    1. not very important
    2. moderately important
    3. very important

    How important is a powerful configuration language (such as Perl or Lisp)?
    1. not very important
    2. moderately important
    3. very important

    What should that configuration language be?:
    1. Perl
    2. Lisp/Scheme
    3. a custom log analysis language
    4. fortran
    5. others (please specify)

    Is using Common Lisp as a configuration language a hurdle to you?
    1. I love hacking lisp
    2. no problem
    3. a moderate hurdle
    4. a significant hurdle
    5. NO WAY! (eeew!)  Not gonna do it!

    How important are pre-made rulesets (that will only need minor tweaking to
    customize for your network)?
    1. not very important
    2. moderately important
    3. very important

    How important is it to you to be able to correlate events from multiple
    log files?
    1. not very important
    2. moderately important
    3. very important

    How important is it to you to be able to correlate events across log
    servers (an event is logged to syslog host A, another is logged to syslog
    host B, do you need to be able to correlate them?)?
    1. not very important
    2. moderately important
    3. very important

    What sorts of things do you need to be able to do with a log analysis
    tool (things that are hard requirements for you)?

    What sorts of things do you want to be able to do with a log analysis
    tool (things that would be nice, but are not necessarily REQUIRED!)?

    Thanks for any feedback you can provide.

    Jim

    --
    James Prewett
    Systems Team Leader			Designated Security Officer