RE: [logs] RE: Logging in the DMZ

From: Rainer Gerhards (rgerhards@private)
Date: Tue Feb 10 2004 - 06:47:41 PST

    I think the issue of a switch is indeed important. If you go for a
    stealth server, I would probably insist on using a hub for connecting
    it. I think if you really go for the added security, a probably better
    way is to actually set up a syslogd with a real address - one that is
    running and listening, that can be attacked and that appears to be live
    because it is life. Let the attackers hack that box. Then, connect this
    box via a hub to the central switch. On the same hub, connect your
    stealth syslogd, the one that shall not be hacked and not be seen.

    So you create the impression of a live syslogd while you actually use a
    stealth device to keep track of things. Comparing log entries on the
    visible and the invisible box may also be quite interesting ;)

    Rainer