Re: [logs] databasing log files

From: Paul Robertson (proberts@private)
Date: Wed Feb 11 2004 - 12:11:05 PST

    On Tue, 10 Feb 2004, Ron Sweeney wrote:

    > Recently, I have gone down the road of writing "engines" to grep on huge
    > amounts of log files and load them into a mysql instance to keep pertinent
    > data.  It works out pretty slick this way for obvious reasons...
    >
    > My question to this list however, what are the legal ramifications of
    > storing data externally and not keeping the log files in their native
    > format? Does the validity of the exception in the log file get stunted
    > when removed from its native format?

    IANAL, but:

    It would seem to me that you're still creating a "machine record" and so
    have the exemption in-place.  HOWEVER, I sure wouldn't want to have to
    defend such an entry in front of a jury.  Defense would probably have a
    heck of a time that started with "Please explain database corruption...."

    You'd really want to spend some time documenting and proving that what
    starts out at point A ends up at point D,  along with how, why and through
    what method.  Validating the process before you have to use it should help
    significantly in loading up the expert witness pool with ammunition. "See,
    here's where we generated a million entries and validated them during our
    testing process..."

    I would also dump the database (raw, not to text)  and produce a "report"
    so that you're creating a business report from the data, to hedge the
    admisability.  If you can dump the original log lines seperately, that's a
    help, as you can feed them through the process and prove what came out
    was what came out.

    Obviously, checking with counsel is the best bet here, and maybe a local
    USA/AUSA.

    Paul