RE: [logs] IIS and Windows Event log parser to generate reports

From: Eric Fitzgerald (ericf@private)
Date: Fri Mar 12 2004 - 13:05:06 PST

    Hi John,

    Note the following:

    1. 538 might not be generated in some cases.  538 is generated when a
    token is destroyed when its refcount reaches 0.  If an app uses a token,
    increasing its refcount, and then loses track of it (a "token leak",
    similar to a memory leak or handle leak), then the refcount will never
    reach 0.

    2. 528/538 don't take the "lock workstation" scenario into account.
    There is no lock workstation event.  Unlock workstation causes a new
    pair of 528/538, logon type 7 (unlock workstation), but doesn't
    reference the logon id of the original logon session.

    3. Logon ids can be re-used after reboot, and are only guaranteed unique
    between reboots on the same machine.

    4. There is no logon event for LocalSystem, logon session (0x0,0x3E7).
    You have to infer it.

    Thanks,
    Eric