RE: [logs] Syslog-ng filters - How to figure out which filter wastripped

From: Clark, Bill W. (Bill.Clark@private)
Date: Fri May 14 2004 - 08:48:55 PDT

    >Much better :) Would a static analysis be enough (e.g. have syslog-ng
    run with a special command line argument in which case it >goes to
    filter-test-mode, just like the sendmail debug mode)? Or you want to
    enable this kind of logging on the running daemon?

    Some of you have emailed me directly and I thank you for your advice.  I
    am still looking into the syslog(3) recommendation.

    For me I see syslog-ng as another application.  And as an application I
    believe I should be able to get logging on what it is doing.  I should
    be able to go to something like
    var/log/loghost/2004/05/14/syslog-ng.log and see an entry on a filter
    action like described below.

    Example of a syslog-ng.conf filter entry:
    filter f_loghost_ssh { host("(loghost)") and program("sshd.*") and
    match("(ailed|enied|illegal)"); };

    Log entry I would like to see something like in
    /var/log/loghost/2004/05/14/syslog-ng.log:
    syslog-ng.log:May 14 10:09:10 loghost syslog-ng[5902]: FILTER: f_loghost
    matched program sshd[3459] on {failed} destination of entry
    /var/log/loghost/2004/05/14/info.log

    As for the SEC recommendation.  That was the third time this week I saw
    a reference by someone to SEC so I checked it out.  It looks like it
    could be useful but not for this problem.  I something like a hundred
    different directory trees with 4 - l8 log files in each branch so SEC
    would be very difficult to use on a central syslog-ng server.  That is
    why I use syslog-ng to catch real-time events and not something like
    swatch or SEC now.

    Bill Clark