[logs] Re: syslog implementation

From: Bennett Todd (bet@private)
Date: Sun May 30 2004 - 08:20:17 PDT

Someone pointed out to me off-list that my proposed architecture,
with each syslogging client creating a pipe to a dedicated instance
of a vaguely multilog-inspired writer, makes the logfile rotation
process vastly harder. Stumped me for a little that did. Then I came
up with an idea.

Suppose all writers closed and reopened the file they were writing
to every N seconds. Say, 3600 default, configurable by envar or
comment in syslog.conf or something. Then rotation logic wouldn't be
too bad, just cycle the logfiles at any interval greater than N, and
hold off compressing for one cycle.

I think a timing plus delayed compress constraint on the logfile
rotator wouldn't be too excruciating a departure from pure syslog
compatibility. It's even a pattern directly supported by
logrotate(8), with the delaycompress option.

For high-volume dedicated loggers, where one process is the only
thing writing to a file and it's doing so at a heroic rate, we could
also have the option of multilog-style rotation, where the logging
process itself does the rotation every time it hits a configurable
size threshhold.

-Bennett