[logs] Swatch stops monitoring after log rotation

From: Ken Toney (ktoney@private)
Date: Mon Jun 21 2004 - 06:26:03 PDT

    I am using Mac OS X on a central log station with Swatch monitoring the
    logs. The problem I have is that Swatch does not monitor the new log
    files after the logs have been rotated. For example, after rotating the
    system.log file each night, I "kill-HUP" the syslog daemon so it will
    start writing to a new file. This is the line from the nightly script:

    "if [ -f /var/run/syslog.pid ]; then kill -HUP $(cat
    /var/run/syslog.pid | head -1); fi"

    After that I do the same for Swatch so it will monitor the new
    system.log file.

    "if [ -f /var/run/swatch.pid ]; then kill -HUP $(cat
    /var/run/swatch.pid | head -1); fi"

    Any suggestions on how I could modify/improve log rotations so Swatch
    will monitor the new logs?

    Thanks

    Ken