Re: [logs] Different Logfiles Based on Device Name

From: Yvette Agostini (yvette@private)
Date: Thu Jul 22 2004 - 00:43:53 PDT

Allan Liska wrote:

 > Is it possible to configure syslog to create different files for each
device, or group of devices?  In other words, I would like my firewall
logs to be logged to firewall.log, router logs logged to router.log, etc.

 > I don't see anything in the documentation that allows this, and I
know it can be done with post-processing tools, but I would rather use
native-syslog to do it.

You can log everything for a specific "class" of devices (router,
firewalls, ecc) in a single file and then parse the file. But it is
difficult to make parsing scripts efficient and scalable.

Another solution could be to use different facilities for the different
classes of devices.

THe best option in my opinion would be to use syslog-ng, for it has a
lot of plus such tcp transmission instead of udp, greater versatility
and flexibility, easier configuration even with complex architecture and
so on. But maybe you have no option and are forced to use only native
syslogd.

For log parsing tools and scripts and programs you can browse
sourceforge or freshmeat and googling you will find alot of examples of
homemade scripts.
Perl language is a power tool in accomplishing such a task.

Hope this can help you and sorry for my poor english.

http://yvetteagostini.it