Re: [logs] Most valueable log information

From: Marcus J. Ranum (mjr@private)
Date: Wed Aug 18 2004 - 11:14:39 PDT

Ed Schmollinger wrote:
>My site doesn't look for interesting things, we look for things that are
>not uninteresting.  I think Mr. Ranum or somebody like that called it
>"Artificial Ignorance."

That'd be me. :) For those who aren't familiar with the concept, see:
http://www.ranum.com/security/computer_security/papers/ai/

> We operate in a batch mode, though, where the
>system rotates/parses the logs once a day and the systems staff review
>the interesting messages.

For any that are interested in batch-processing artificial ignorance
type systems, I have a doo-dad called "retail" which is a useful
stateful tail program for this purpose. You just put it in cron to run
every 5 minutes or whatever, and pump its output through an
artificial ignorance. You can get it from:
http://www.ranum.com/security/computer_security/code/

mjr.