RE: [logs] most popular reports...?

From: Marcus J. Ranum (mjr@private)
Date: Wed Aug 18 2004 - 11:48:39 PDT

Tina Bird wrote:
>- <if it's not a web server with lots o' really long URLs> all lines of log
>data longer than N characters

Oo! Good idea!
Right now I am trying to get that kind of capability with NBS in
structural-analysis mode. I don't know if it's worth my adding length
sorting to it or not (probably not)

>- summary of remote access usage -- SSH, VPN, telnet (ick) whatever, with at
>least username, source, destination (to look for people in odd places and
>check for trends) -- ideally, i'd get a "someone logged in from somewhere
>new" summary, but i'll settle for everything, at least at first

Ok, that's a hot one. Let's just call that "VPN usage"
frequency, user, etc - same as for a firewall, basically,
except out the VPN interface.

>- lines containing "root" and "passwd" and "null" (or perhaps, combinations
>thereof)

OK, that's a whitelist issue but it touches on reporting...

>- top N most common lines

Got that.

Thanks!
mjr.