[logs] FYA (for your amusement)

From: Marcus J. Ranum (mjr@private)
Date: Fri Aug 20 2004 - 12:05:56 PDT

I've just published another goofy tool I wrote called PLOG. It's a
promiscuous-mode log collector.
http://www.ranum.com/security/computer_security/code

Basically, what it does is sets a BPF filter for UDP port 514,
collects all the packets, reaches into the UDP data body
and pulls out the kicking, bloody, and screaming syslog
message, which it then stuffs up /dev/log. The code has
not been tested on Linux (though it builds if you have pcap
in the right places and use the BSD udpheader definitions)
but it works fine on most BSDs.

It's kind of cool how well it works - and it's very useful for
testing log analysis stuff without having to interfere with your
real log-server.

Do not abuse this tool! As with all promiscuous-mode
listeners, you should be careful to only use it with permission
from proper authority. Misuse of this tool might violate the
federal wiretap statute, ECPA, and other parts of US Code.

mjr.