RE: [logs] NBS

From: Marcus J. Ranum (mjr@private)
Date: Fri Sep 03 2004 - 17:14:24 PDT

>> Also, my input is coming from a script that does a tcpdump in a loop,
>> but if I just pipe the output directly to nbs, nbsdump blocks until I
>> end the script.  For example, if I do:
>
>from "man tcpdump"
>
>   -l     Make  stdout  line buffered.  Useful if you want to see the data
>              while capturing it.  E.g.,
>              ``tcpdump  -l  |  tee     dat''     or     ``tcpdump  -l    >
>              dat  &  tail  -f  dat''.

No, the problem is that nbs keeps a lock on the file, and if it's reading
its input from a pipe it never closes.

I need to write something that handles buffering for an nbs process
a little better. Not sure what to call it - maybe "nbsbuffer"    I ought
to have it done by tomorow night so just be patient. ;)

mjr.