[logs] apache2 access logfiles with time to server request

From: Markus Roth (mroth@private)
Date: Wed Nov 17 2004 - 04:07:37 PST

hi!

i got the hint from richard westlake on suse security list to write to
this list. i'm currently writing my diploma work about (D)DoS Attacks
against web servers. i try to detect this attacks based on statistical
anomalies of the requests. it looks at the request rate (with an
exponential moving average), the period in which a client is active, the
time distribution of the requests (chi square), the return status of the
web server and the distribution of the URI's hit. till now, it looks
pretty promising but one very important factor is unaccounted, the coast
of a single request!
what i like to do is calculating a coast for each request, so that
request that charge the CPU more or demand lots of bandwidth, have a
higher suspicious level.

the hole analysis process is done on the logfile of a web server. to
train the system, old logfiles are feed. after that the system switches
to live mode and watches the access logfile (like tail -f) for changes
and tries to detect attacks in "real time" (with the possibility to
block them via an apache module or the firewall (time based rule)).

now i have a little problem. i didn't found somebody that was able go
give me logfiles in apache combined or common format but with the time
which was needed to serve the requests. it would be possible to log this
in apache2 with the "%D" character.

now my question. does anybody of you log this time to serve a request
and could give me some logfiles? you can anonimize your logfiles with
analog (project on sourceforge) but i guess you know this ;-)

thanks
markus