[logs] Announcing rsyslog, an alternative syslogd for *nix

From: Rainer Gerhards (rgerhards@private)
Date: Wed Dec 08 2004 - 09:57:45 PST

Hi group,

I am pleased to announce the initial beta release of the rsyslog
package, an alternate syslogd implementation.

Rsyslog has been forked from the sysklogd package. It currently shares
its base design but includes many important enhancements. Most
importantly it supports

- fully configurable output formats, including
  * high precision timestamps with year ;)
  * access to each of the message parts as well as substrings thereof
    (includes access to facility and priority)
  * access to the raw message received
- direct logging to MySQL database servers
- compatibility to stock linux syslogd

Rsyslog is GPL'ed software. Details and the download on it can be found
at
   http://www.monitorware.com/rsyslog/

This package has performed well in our test environments but it is a
beta release. So you might experience problems of all kind when you try
it. So far, it has been compiled under both Red Hat and Debian Linux,
only (we did not try some other system, so others hopefully will work,
too).

It is our first try at packaging a real open-source application, so
please expect some troubles in getting it going. I can promise to help
everybody as good as we can, so please bear a little with us ;)
                                                                                                            We would appreciate any feedback from early testers, including bug reports, additional platforms it runs on and new ideas.
                                                                                                            Thanks to everyone who has contributed ideas, patches and bug reports.
Special thanks to Tina Bird for being a constant source of new ideas and
also to Bennett Todd for his suggestions (yes, those back from 2003 also
finally made it into rsyslog ;)).
                                                                                                            We hope to receive ample feedback. The more feedback we receive, the more enhancements will happen (and the faster they will appear). You can
send any feedback and suggestion to me at rgerhards@private

I have not sent this announcement to any other places. I thought I'd
wait for the feedback from this group of log gurus ... I also hope that
will cover me a little bit if the initial release is too wild in
practice ;) - so you have been warned...

Rainer Gerhards