Re: [logs] [Windows Server 2003] Per-user auditing policy

From: Jean-Baptiste Marchand (Jean-Baptiste.Marchand@private)
Date: Wed Dec 29 2004 - 04:40:33 PST

* Eric Fitzgerald <ericf@private> [10/09/03 - 10:47]:

> Due to a scheduling problem we were not able to ship the per-user
> auditing management utility in the Resource Kit.
>
> Per-user auditing policy will be included in Windows XP SP2, along with
> the management utility.

So, it seems that the utility is named auditusr.exe and is present in
Windows XP SP2, as mentionned in a recent entry of Eric F.'s blog:

http://weblogs.asp.net/ericfitz/

Quoting Eric F.:

We introduced a feature in Windows Server 2003 RTM where exceptions to
audit policy can be set on a per-user basis. For example, audit
logon/logoff activity for everyone, but audit all activity for EricF.
Or, audit all activity for everyone, except SQLServiceAccount. This
feature is required for Common Criteria evaluation. We anticipate it
will mainly be used to either reduce noise or track suspicious
individuals.  This feature is called "Per-user auditing" colloquially;
the official name of the feature is "Per-User Selective Audit".

In Windows 2003 RTM for some reason the command-line admin tool,
auditusr.exe, was not checked in. It was added for SP1 (and for XPSP2,
which also has the per-user auditing feature).

Per-user auditing cannot exclude events for members of the
Administrators group- such policy can be created but will be ignored by
the auditing system. Per-user auditing cannot be set for groups, only
individual user accounts. Use of AuditUsr.exe is documented in the
comand-line help (auditusr /?).

Another interesting quote, about modifications of security audit in
Windows Server 2003 SP1:

"The net result of these changes is that the audit volume for Windows
Server 2003 should drop significantly in SP1."

For those interested, I suggest looking at the 3 posts published, they
contain some interesting information:

http://weblogs.asp.net/ericfitz/

Jean-Baptiste Marchand
--