Re: [logs] sdsc syslog on bsd?

From: Yann Berthier (yb@private)
Date: Mon Feb 14 2005 - 11:04:35 PST

On lun, 14 fév 2005, Jose Nazario wrote:

> On Mon, 14 Feb 2005, ArkanoiD wrote:
>
> > Is there a BSD port of SDSC syslog or its suitable replacement?
>
> back when the project was first announced, at 1.0, i sent tom perrine soem
> initial patches to get it to build on OpenBSD. here's a copy of the
> message:
>
> again, i have tried sdsc secure syslog on openbsd and found it has a
> handful of linux specific include issues and one small function
> dependency. a diff of what it took to get it to partially build is
> attached.
>
> the remaining problem comes in OMOD_USER_send_msg() in omod_user.c.
> starting with setutent(), the remainder of the function uses structs and
> functions specific to linux (or at least absent in openbsd). i don't know
> enough about your code to determine what it is you're hoping to do and how
> crucial this is, so ... i didn't go beyond commenting out a pair of lines.
>
> any suggestions? i hope these patches (i cc'd Yann Berthier, according to
> some list traffic in january he was working on a freebsd port if he had
> time) are useful for a bsd port. as for the linux specific stuff ... looks

   Indeed. I had a set of patches at one time to compile SDSC syslog on
   FreeBSD, but i don't even remember how i solved - or not - the
   setutent() stuff. I remember also one problem i ought to solve
   regarding the kernel messages. Anyway, as the project seemed to stall
   at one point, and my free time was not going better either, i didn't
   pursued any effort. I even asked to remove the roadrunner (BEEP
   library) port, as it was discontinued.

   Anyway, I'd be happy to learn that SDSC syslog is back in the
   business, as it was a nice project at that time, and the authors were
   very responsive when i was boring them with my compile probs.

      - yann