[logs] Event normalization standards?

From: Ivan Ristic (ivanr@private)
Date: Thu Feb 24 2005 - 02:43:01 PST

Hi,

I'll be building a log collection and processing tool oriented mainly
toward web applications. Since the underlying technology is the
same no matter of the actual purpose I am considering to allow for
some sort of event normalization to be added later.

I have been trying to find information on event normalization on the
Web and in the mailing list archives without success. Finally
I decided to ask the question here:

Are there any event normalization standards or open implementations
I should be aware of?

PS. While I am here: I wrote several log analysis scripts for the
logging chapter of my book. They are now available for download at
http://www.apachesecurity.net. I am sure it will be of interest. The
following scripts are related to logging:

error_log_ai - artificial ignorance for web server logs

logscan - handy script to make searching through web server logs easier

mod_globalerror.c - Apache 2 module to duplicate the error log to
                     a central location (when Apache is configured to
                     split them into per-virtual host files).

Any type of feedback is appreciated. Time permitting, I will continue
to enhance these tools.

Also (I don't know if it has been mentioned before), mod_security
(Apache module) allows for full request body logging, which makes it
handy to log the attacks that happen in POST bodies and such.

--
Ivan Ristic
Apache Security (O'Reilly) - http://www.apachesecurity.net