[logs] About the logging infrastructure

From: Phi Phu (phiphu2002@private)
Date: Wed Apr 13 2005 - 00:37:57 PDT

Dear all,
I am a new person in this mailling list. I have some following questions that i really want they will be aswered:
1. Should we try to use effectively the existing log data (from OS and applications) for the security purpose, in stead of using IDS or other monitoring tools that also producing log data in the flooded-by-log world today?
2. (If question #1 is "yes") is there any existing solution or product that manages the log data for a small and medium enterpise (with the standard computer network including: user workstations, file server, web server, mail server, gateway to Internet, firewall, db server) for the intrusion detection purpose?
3. (if question #2 is "no") do you think that building a solution like that is possible?

Thank you, and best regards,
Phi