Re: [logs] Logging pix behavior

From: Jason Haar (Jason.Haar@private)
Date: Sun Apr 24 2005 - 21:49:32 PDT

James Turnbull wrote:

>On Mon, April 25, 2005 9:57 am, Stephen Spence said:
>

>>All I'm looking for is something which will give an at-a-glance view of the internal
>>hosts, hostnames too if possible, the URLs they're looking at, maybe even session
>>duration, whatever we can get beyond that is a bonus.
>>

>Not aware of anything PIX specific - but have you considered a proxy?  Inserting a proxy
>like ISA or Squid into the network between the clients and the PIX will allow you to
>track and report on the information you require.

It's easier than that. There is a debugging level you can turn a Cisco
PIX to that will make it log HTTP requests via syslog - part of its
"fixup" functionality (syslog level 7).

Of course, it gives no where near the level of information a true proxy
would - and can't track HTTPS traffic - again, unlike a proxy. Also I
wouldn't recommend it for a large environment - where syslog logging
could become a bottleneck. Again, proxies reduce this issue.

Also if you have an NIDS (more specifically, a monitor point off your
Internet gateway), you can use something like Doug Song's urlsnarf to do
the same thing.

--
Cheers

Jason Haar
Phone: +64 3 9635 377 Fax: +64 3 9635 417