[logs] Windows XP Event 528 & 538

From: Muhammad Khan (m.n.a.khan@private)
Date: Sun Jun 26 2005 - 03:44:25 PDT

Hi,
Windows XP records event 528 for user logon and 538 for user logoff.
While looking into event-viewer I have seen that:-
1. In most of the cases, the event 538 and 528 are recorded for the
same time (i.e. time of generation of event is same). Logically it
should be different so that one can track about the duration of system
usage by a particular user. If anyone can explain the logic behind
them and how distinct Logon ID could be used to correlate the logon
and logon processes to determine the system usage by different user.

2. A lot many events for ID 528 and 538 are generated for user name
Network Services and NT Authority. What is their utility. How can we
use them to track down auditing of system usage.

Thanks for your cooperation,

regards,
Muhammad Naeem Khan