[logs] Re: logsurfer and ssh

From: Morten Liebach - TELMORE (mol@private)
Date: Tue Jul 26 2005 - 23:36:23 PDT

I did something similar with OpenBSD and pf (not via. logsurfer), but it
proved quite ineffective and I removed the hack and created a rule which
dropped all packets from Linux hosts destined for port 22, something you
can only do with pf AFAIK.

Here's the rule:

# Don't allow Linux hosts to connect to port 22.
block drop in log on $ext_if proto { tcp, udp } \
    from any os Linux to any port ssh

Of course it's a pretty bad idea if you need access from Linux hosts,
but I don't, so it works fine for me, more than 99% effective.  I can
only remember seeing a single scan getting through in the last 6 months
or so.

Not what you asked for, but it might inspire you or others.

--
Morten Liebach
System Administrator