[logs] Re: regex-less parsing of messages

From: Christina Noren (cfrln@private)
Date: Wed Dec 07 2005 - 08:57:54 PST

answering a few of the straightforward technical questions...

On Dec 6, 2005, at 6:17 PM, Solomon, Frank wrote:

> Okay, Todd, I'll take a byte of your bait.
>
> I looked over the SPLUNK web site.
>
> Are you using the free version or the professional version?
>
> How big/how many log files, servers etc?  How long have you used it?
> The license on the free version has a definite limit, if I read it
> right, so I'm guessing you're using the paid-for version.
The free version does not time out. There are feature differences
like multiple user accounts, role based security, multiple indexes,
automated scheduled "live splunks" etc. You can get a free trial of
the pro product but that is time limited.

> How do you maintain a steady-state, is it easy to cleanse the index
> system of the old logs?  Is that somehow automagic?  How do you
> archive?
There is a built in rotation system that ensures that old data is
rotated out. see: http://www.splunk.com/index.php/docs?doc=admin.html#92

> Am I reading this right?  Is it basically "Google" for your logs?  Are
> the logs actually collected in a single place?
Splunk makes a copy of the log files and adds an index, both in its
local central datastore.
> Or, do the web queries
> somehow reference the detailed log information "in place?"  What
> sort of
> database technology is employed?  Is this a Unix hash (dbm-based)
> system
> or is there a relational engine used in there somewhere or something
> entirely different?
Something entirely different - an advanced purpose built dense data

> On a more fundamental level, does this satisfy your needs when it
> comes
> to analysis; what happens when the word you're querying for is very
> common?
You refine your search based on other parameters by pointing and
clicking on other terms, source type, host, etc.