[logs] Log correlation

From: James Kelly (macubergeek@private)
Date: Thu Dec 15 2005 - 16:40:11 PST

Hello all
I'm trying to teach myself log analysis by trying the Honeynet
Challenge 34
It consists of:
http access logs
http error logs
http ssl_error logs
iptables log
snort log
syslog mail log
syslog messages and
syslog secure log

Now I want to mush these all together and sort each line
problem I'm having is that:
	a. the date format is different between logs
	b. the placement of the date within the line is different in the
http error logs.

What I've done so far:
I've tried to concatenate logs earliest-->latest
tried importing into Excel and sorting there....
I've googled around looking for log correlation, analysis etc.
I've poke thru the archives to this list---why is there no search
capability for the list archive?

Basically the formatting problems are driving me nuts.

Can anyone point me in the direction of a tool/methodology I can use
to do this?
I'd be most grateful.

Jim