[logs] Re: Log correlation

From: James Kelly (macubergeek@private)
Date: Fri Dec 16 2005 - 02:28:10 PST

On Dec 16, 2005, at 2:08 AM, Peter Schawacker wrote:

> Why?  Seriously.  Why are you trying to automate the
> writing of a narrative?  I realize we're all
> automation junkies here, on this list that is.  But
> frankly, there's not substitute for story-telling.  So
> find a sequence of events, write the story out --
> long-hand that is.  Then, trace it back to a perl
> script or some robot foo like that.  Take two tylenol
> and another ritalin and ponder your navel for a while.
>  Then see if your pooter algorithm is repeatable.
> Voila!
>
> Good bloody luck.  No substitute for good old fasioned
> grey matter.

LOL
good point...hmmm I think I left my foo in my other pants ;-)
No actually, I'm not anywhere near the narrative stage...

My modus operandi is
a. organize crap chronologically
b. filter out the irrelevant crap
c. then start drawing narratives
...I'm being influenced here by Richard Bejtlich's top down Structure
Network Analysis model
in an attempt to get my arms around the big picture.

Russell Fulton was kind enough to point me towards Coroners
Toolkit...said it had some tools for serializing logs.
Thanks Russell!

And thank you Peter...

Jim