[logs] Re: on credible open-source SIMs

From: Erik Mintz (emintz@private)
Date: Tue Jan 03 2006 - 14:45:58 PST

On the missing argument of ease-of-integration; These custom efforts are
done often with a commercial SIM. The effort would be the same, if not
easier with a commercial SIM. If this is a requirement, the product selector
should take a look at the database design, and ability to build tools off
the existing architecture.

I agree, a SIM should deliver intelligence and an ability to complete a
security incident workflow and audit. It is not easy. I can only think of
one vendor that delivers this :)

-Erik

<<
One argument that's missing from the discussion so far is the ease of
integration with other information sources in the enterprise. For me, this
is a major incentive for doing in-house development of this kind of
solutions; correlating inventory information, user databases, personell
databases and so forth with the log events is important, and this is an area
where commercial solutions traditionally have been weak (particularly in the
ystem management space).

Furthermore, I think that viewing a SIM solution as a machine that goes
'ping!' when something bad happens is just about as futile as the initial,
simplistic IDS offerings.
While alerts certainly are useful, I would claim that 'better operational
understanding of what's going on' is a more important goal than the 'ping!'
factor.
Viewing the SIM
as an operational tool is therefore more important than the 'black box'
factor, imho.

FloCon (http://www.cert.org/flocon/2005/presentations/) is an example of
cool research trying to give us a better understanding of our networks --
and not just the security events taking place on them.

Just my $0.02. YMMV. :-)

> Anton Chuvakin, Ph.D., GCIA, GCIH, GCFA

-oddbjorn

They are intended for the named recipient(s) only.
If you have received this email in error please notify the system manager or  the
sender immediately and do not disclose the contents to anyone or make copies.

** This e-mail  has been scanned for viruses, vandals and malicious content. **