[logs] Re: logging in IETF draft on "Operational Security CurrentPractices"

From: todd glassey (todd.glassey@private)
Date: Sat Feb 25 2006 - 07:34:35 PST

Anton - its a wonderful BCP and of  little if any use to this community I
bet ... this is stuff that most of you know in your sleep... its about how
you would do it if you had to be accountable...  What the submission of this
BCP Document does say is that others in technology are getting that the
Logging Community's role is to provide operational integrity for the systems
and transactions that are layered on the digital transports and systems we
log from.  It is this 'demonstration of Integrity" and the Evidence of it
(i.e. the output of the logs) that substantiates the  use of the tools...
Syslog, MSyslog, Syslog-Ng etc and all of the log processing and
knowledge/event management tools (Swatch and Logwatch to Splunk).

Anton, as I have said to you privately several times - there is a huge win
here in Logs producing its own set of Standard BCP practices documents and
then in submitting them as recommendations to those that would depend on
this WG's expertise... The win is a specific set of logging practice
statements that are 'submitted for commentary' to the Bar Association's
technologies and Digital Evidence WG's (remember that lawyers will have to
prosecute or defend based on what's in the logs), and then with their
commentary and any remediation, submitted formally to the Audit Community to
fully contaminate the people  that have to approve of operating
environments, with the wisdom of the Log's Group Operational Models... both
through the CPA's but also through the ISACA CISM/CISA and IIA & ISC2
Auditors.

The value to this group is that you get to write these practice operations
models yourselves as opposed to some lawyer sitting down with you, and... I
and other auditors who work in these areas would be happy to take formal
recommendations from you folks to our WG's...

Also FWIW - in many instances, the logging processes inside of digital
systems are protected by a very interesting set of laws and this is worth
talking about at some level.... Life is never going to be like it was
pre-Internet, pre-9/11, preSOX fiasco's... and Digital Systems Evidentiary
Proofing (logging of Integrity) are more and more important today as ever.

Todd Glassey CISM CIFI