[logs] Re: Centralized Logging + large number of active hosts

From: Jason Haar (Jason.Haar@private)
Date: Wed May 10 2006 - 13:24:21 PDT

ScottO wrote:
> - Or, maybe having distributed "collector" syslog servers that somehow
> dump back to a central syslog server. So a distributed architecture
> approach.

That's the approach we went with. Have local (typically UDP-based)
syslog clients dumping to local central syslog-ng server. That server
can do any initial filtering to reduce the data it writes to disk,
and/or forwards to the next link in the chain. Then those syslog-ng
servers dump via TCP to the next syslog-ng layer, etc.  We currently
have 3 layers and everything's gravy :-)

(but then we don't have 1000 hosts - that could be a lot of traffic)

Also, your LVM option seems to me to be solving a different problem -
one of fault tolerance. As such, surely you could use both options?

--
Cheers

Jason Haar
Phone: +64 3 9635 377 Fax: +64 3 9635 417