[logs] Re: Centralized Logging + large number of active hosts

From: Daniel Cid (danielcid@private)
Date: Wed May 10 2006 - 18:09:30 PDT

Hi Scott,

First of all, good luck with that :) It's not easy
to setup a good logging architecture for large
networks.

I have done something similar for a large medical
department and we used a distributed approach.

We divided the department into multiple "sections",
each one with its own log analysis server. We first
though in using them as filters to forward the data
to a central "powerfull" server, but that didn't work
well. First, the more you filter, the less information
you have (specially if you are using regexes). Second,
on some extreme cases, you may get more data than
what you really want (and your server can handle).
Third :), the "far way" you are from the systems, the
less you know about that network segment (and harder
is the correlation).

So we let each analysis server being isolated, only
looking at the data from that specific segment.
Because of that, the traffic didn't cause too much
trouble and
the correlation was easier on each server. We also
set up e-mail alerting on them and used some tools
to facilitate the view of the logs (making it easier
for the network group to look at them). We also had
to have encrypted tunnels for the logs and for that we
use an initial version of the ossec hids (it was also
used for the correlation and e-mail alerting).

Hope it helps.

Good luck again!

--
Daniel B. Cid