[logs] Re: Which reports are most important?

From: Anton Chuvakin (anton@private)
Date: Thu May 18 2006 - 21:16:37 PDT

Chris and all,

IMHO, there can't be a Top 5 list. To make it possible, you have to
consider the role of the report recipient.

E.g.

Top 5 Reports for a SysAdmin
Top 5 Reports for a Security Analyst
Top 5 Reports for a CSO

And yes, I do have the lists - will send it later...

On 5/17/06, Chris Brenton <cbrenton@private> wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> I'm involved with helping SANS organize the logging summit this July. As
> part of that, I was hit with a question that I thought could be best
> answered via feedback from the group.
>
> What do you feel are the top 5 reports a centralized log management
> system should provide?
>
> For example, a few I came up with:
>
> Authentication failures (Web, system access, VPNs, etc.)
> Access failures (HTTP scripts, recursion requests, etc.)
> Initialization of new/unknown processes
> Unexpected outbound traffic through the firewall (IRC, TFTP, SMTP, etc.)
>
> I would love to see a similar list from other folks on the list.
>
> Cheers,
> Chris

Anton Chuvakin, Ph.D., GCIA, GCIH, GCFA
     http://www.chuvakin.org