[logs] Re: List and discription of ADS events

From: Erik Ginorio (bronc@private)
Date: Wed May 31 2006 - 10:07:11 PDT

Hi Abhay,

   I believe that ADS messages are put into the MSEventLog under the
Directory Service context. As usual nothing MS does is easy, so as far as
I know there isn't any all encompassing list of messages (unless someone
knows of one they can point us all to).

  What I've found useful, although it's a bit more of a pain, is to look up
the event source of each type of message context on MS web site, and then
use their Event and Error Message Center to look up all the event
ids for a particular source.

  For AD, even though it's given in the logs as Directory Services, the
event source is Active Directory. By going to the message center and
selecting Windows Operating System in the Microsoft Product pull down, and then
typeing in Active Directoy in the Event Source text box, and then asking
it to GO, it will return pages and pages of Event ID associated with ADS.

Oh ya, here is a link to the message center:
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/support/ee/ee_advanced.aspx

Hope this helps a bit.

- Erik