[logs] Re: Log integrity handling on central logsystem

From: Taneli Otala (taneli@private)
Date: Tue Aug 22 2006 - 06:47:14 PDT

Log data integrity...

I've used/seen the following tricks:

- Block sign the logs at source, have an audit tool to verify the sigs
-- combine with sequence number to detect missing blocks

- To verify that a source hasn't dropped off, generate "markers" (in
each originating point) and alert if missing marker

- Log everything to two log hosts; log log-host access logs as well

TaO
http://pointyhair.com