[logs] Re: Filebased logfiles vs. SQLbased logfiles

From: Anton Chuvakin (anton@private)
Date: Thu Aug 24 2006 - 00:38:21 PDT

Patrick and all,

How about BOTH? I can defend the RDBMS approach one day and then turn
and defend the flat file approach :-) Both seem to have benefits
compelling enough so that doing both seems like the best... given that
hardware is relatively cheap and you'd achieve the benefits of both
approaches.

On 8/23/06, Patrick Debois <Patrick.Debois@private> wrote:

> I'm looking for help in a discussion to decide to either log everything in
> relational database or just keep logs in plain files.
>
> >From the file perspective:
>
> (+)DB normalization with a lot of different DB schemas seems a lot of
> work/impossible. It feels a bit like the google vs yahoo approach.
> (+)Easier to calculate checksums on files: database queries
> (+)You would avoid understanding all logfiles and parsing them to an
> "uber"logformat
> (+)Files index more easily then database.

Anton Chuvakin, Ph.D., GCIA, GCIH, GCFA
     http://www.chuvakin.org
 http://chuvakin.blogspot.com
http://www.securitywarrior.com