[logs] Re: Log integrity handling on central logsystem

From: Taneli Otala (taneli@private)
Date: Thu Aug 31 2006 - 16:58:34 PDT

Log signing "is too specific" -- I'm not aware of any regulation/court
that requires that today.

But, at the same time -- you are collecting evidence TODAY, that will be
used two years from today... and in that time the regulations will change.
So, err on the side of caution, excessive log storage/retention, and
comprehensive measures.

Same goes for collecting more (everything) than you think is
necessary... when reconstructing events, it's useful to have
not-obviously-consequential logs, as they may prove 1) other things
happening simultaneously, 2) general state of health of network at the
time of an event, 3) the full (reconstructed) path of an intrusion.

If you weren't worried about the usability/admissability [in the future]
of the logs in the first place, then why collect them to begin with.

TaO