[logs] Re: on log standards

From: Edward Sargisson (edward.j.sargisson@private)
Date: Thu Aug 31 2006 - 13:35:16 PDT

Actually, I think one of the useful first steps we could attempt is to get
pressure vendors to document all the possible log messages, what they mean
and when they might occur.

This is something I've been doing internally in the logs my application
writes. Every time I change what I do I document it up in a Word document
so that other people understand what might come out. This is especially
important as I'm logging using IBM Common Base Event which picks up a lot
of data and I want to be able to know what kind of data to expect.

(My opinions are my own; not my employer's.)

Cheers,
Edward

Edward Sargisson BSc, BCom
Consultant
IBM Business Consulting Services
Wellington, New Zealand
DDI: + 64-4-462-3586, Mob: + 64-21-576-658
P O Box 38 993, Wellington, NEW ZEALAND
edward.j.sargisson@private

Christina Noren <cfrln@private>
Sent by:
loganalysis-bounces+edward.j.sargisson=nz1.ibm.com@private
31/08/2006 05:41 AM

LogAnalysis <LogAnalysis@private>
cc

Subject
[logs] Re: on log standards

Morty,

>   Host software is often created in an unstructured way, with ad-hoc
>   logging infrastructure that is added during debugging stages.  Log
>   content standards sound great, but in practice, they would probably
>   not work well with the way software is actually written.

I think you hit the nail on the head with this observation.

Logging standardization is wishful thinking on the part of log
analysis vendors. Log standardization has really only worked out for
web server access logs and network device SNMP and will never work
out in the software world.

Most software companies and software developers put in error messages
on an ad hoc basis. Only a code audit could possibly inventory all
potential messages. Since most code is proprietary, those writing
parsers for the *content* rather than *header* portion of log
messages from a specific application are most often taking educated
guesses about the messages that a product *will* put out based on the
evidence of log samples collected from running systems. I've been
part of concerted efforts to document error logs in both commercial
software companies and with in-house development teams and they don't
work.

Not to mention the amount of dependence on legacy software with
legacy logging.

The challenge is to create useful tools for searching, reporting and
alerting on logs that don't depend on either standardization or real-
time interpretation/normalization by the log tool.

Some of the techniques for this are:

- full-text indexing of raw content
- automated machine categorization of event patterns - the machine
can't know that this content means that a process exited abnormally,
but it can tell that it's different content than another event saying
that a batch job completed
- exposing hooks for users to add semantic knowledge as they use the
log data and have that knowledge added to the raw data incrementally
- interpretation must be fluid and adaptable in this way
- noticing meta-patterns in a log data set of correlations,
abnormalities, etc. based on the automated categorizations

picture