[logs] Re: Log integrity handling on central logsystem

From: Christopher L. Petersen (chris.petersen@private)
Date: Fri Sep 01 2006 - 06:55:23 PDT

Hey Marcus.  I hear what you're saying but I have to wonder if log
management solutions, whether commercial or homegrown, will eventually
be held to standards higher than what they are today.  I look at my days
as an EDP auditor reviewing how financial applications like SAP
processed transactions as part of their annual financial audit.  Were
the controls in place to ensure that transactional data could not be
altered from point of entry to reporting?

It seems a logical extension that if companies are required to have
solutions for collecting and safeguarding (audit) log data, that system
should have similar controls in place for ensuring data integrity from
collection to restoration to reporting.

In the end I think TaO has it right, collect everything you can and
implement as many controls possible that can help verify log data
integrity with an eye towards future legal requirements.  Better to have
the controls in place and not need them than...

It will be interesting to see how this all evolves.