[logs] Re: windows file system

From: Harlan Carvey (keydet89@private)
Date: Fri Sep 08 2006 - 05:05:07 PDT

Sham,

> A quick question.
> If you where to monitor the windows system files
> (access ect) and exe's.
> >From a security point of view which ones would you
> monitor and why.
> Ive been to the usual places and cant seem to get a
> answer.

When you say "monitor", are you referring to enabling
auditing on objects, or process tracking via the Event
Log?

A great reference for files to monitor access to is a
listing of the files in dllcache.  Yes, these are
monitored by WFP, but the only time anything happens
is when you attempt to modify/delete a protected file.
 This is also true for wrapper Trojans, but not ADSs.

>From a security perspective, though, I'd be interested
in monitoring much more, to include ports that are
opened.  MS has a tool called PortReporter that may be
of use to you.

HTH,

Harlan