[logs] Re: on log standards

From: Anton Chuvakin (anton@private)
Date: Thu Sep 14 2006 - 11:26:53 PDT

All,

> Changing the structure of log messages: not gonna happen
> Change the transport of log messages: I give it a 20% chance
> Adopt standard structural elements in log messages: not gonna happen
>                (2 years ago, I thought this was actually possible)

OK, here is my belated response to it... Even though I often tend to
agree with the most pessimistic prediction (claiming that it is also
"the most realistic"), I think the above is pure curmudgeonry :-)

Here is a useful analogy to illustrate it: folks used to think that OS
vendor will *never* ship "secure out of the box" since users want all
the functionality to be enabled with no hassle. I can still find some
old industry debate on this subject, with most folks agreeing - "not
gonna happen."  Guess what? It did!  And, big buyers pushing OS
vendors played a non-trivial role in that ...

So, I am willing to hypothesize that some [small?] parts of "standard
structural elements" as well as some common idea of what should be
logged, might actually get standardized in a few years... Am I wildly
optimistic? Of course not! Am I willing to believe that it can happen?
You bet!

Best,
--
Anton Chuvakin, Ph.D., GCIA, GCIH, GCFA