[logs] Re: PIX configuration change logging

From: Paul Melson (pmelson@private)
Date: Mon Oct 02 2006 - 14:01:10 PDT

-----Original Message-----
Subject: RE: [logs] PIX configuration change logging

> We found this :
>
> %PIX-5-111008: User 'user' executed the 'cmd' command.
>
> Explanation   This message indicates that a command change to the
> configuration has been made from an AAA authenticated session.
>
> here :

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/secursw/ps2120/products_system_messag
e_guide_chapter09186a00800891c4.html

> Still looking into how we implement this.

Add the following lines to your PIX config:

logging enable
logging trap debugging
logging host inside [syslog server IP] udp/514

Then, when those messages are generated, they will appear in your syslog
stream.  But know that this will be a lot of syslog traffic on a busy
firewall, so don't implement this without proper planning and testing.

Even so, that message doesn't mean what you may think it does.  The 'cmd'
that you are going to see pretty much all of the time is 'enable'.  Sure it
will tell you who modified the configuration and when (assuming you have AAA
set up for telnet/enable), but it won't audit the configuration for you.
You'll need a third party tool to do that.

PaulM