Re: Installing kernel source

From: Solar Designer (solar@private)
Date: Thu Aug 30 2001 - 14:27:16 PDT

On Thu, Aug 30, 2001 at 05:24:03PM +0700, Ihsan ES wrote:

Hi,

> When I run make buildworld I get error message about kernel include
> unreadable and exit.
>
> As root, I install kernel source by tar xfz into /usr/src as on other
> distributions.
>
> What is the right way to install kernel source?

As user sources (not root), extract the sources into /usr/src.  If you
like, apply any optional patches (such as the -ow patches, which we in
fact recommend).

Then, still as user sources, configure and optionally build the kernel.
Finally, cd back to /usr/src and do:

chmod 755 linux/
chmod -R a+rX linux/include/

Note that configuring the kernel is required for buildworld to work.

--
/sd