Re: Error on building foreign package

From: Michael Tokarev (mjt@private)
Date: Wed Jun 19 2002 - 01:53:05 PDT

Solar Designer wrote:
[]
> BTW, Apache is one of those few things I wouldn't keep in a package.

Why?  Is this due to it's frequent releases (I don't think apache releases
too frequently)?

> I suggest that you build the latest and it will go under /usr/local
> nicely.

The more manually installed software exists on the (complex) system,
the more troubles will be with maintenance.  What I like about almost
any package manager is that it helps to keep all packages controllable
in uniform way, without a need to remember which file belongs to which
package, how to install/upgrade any particular one and so on - package
manager's control scripts handles that (I almost always review those
scripts anyway, but that's another story).

/mjt