Openwall GNU/*/Linux (Owl) 1.0 release

From: Solar Designer (solar@private)
Date: Tue Oct 15 2002 - 22:19:25 PDT

Hi,

For those who don't know yet, Openwall GNU/*/Linux (or Owl) is a
security-enhanced operating system with Linux and GNU software as its
core, intended as a server platform.  And, of course, it's free.  More
detailed information is available on the web site:

	http://www.openwall.com/Owl/

After over a year of development and many public Owl-current
snapshots, we're pleased to announce that Owl 1.0 is finally out.

The major changes made since 0.1-prerelease are documented:

	http://www.openwall.com/Owl/CHANGES-1.0.shtml

The release may be freely downloaded from our FTP mirrors or ordered
on a CD.  Of course, we prefer the latter, but it's your choice.
Similarly, you may choose to pay just what it costs to get the CD to
you, or you may also support our project.

CDs (and ISO-9660 images available via the FTP mirrors) are bootable
on x86 and include a live system and x86 binary packages, as well as
full source code which may be rebuilt with one simple command ("make
buildworld").  Security tools such as John the Ripper are usable right
off the CD, without requiring a hard disk -- this way Owl may also be
considered an alternative to Trinux.

Currently available via the FTP mirrors only are the Owl 1.0 binary
packages for SPARC and Alpha architectures.

PGP-signed mtree(8) specifications for all of the above are available
via FTP and in the root directory of Owl CDs (such that you don't even
have to blindly trust CDs arriving via mail).

The 0.1-stable branch is now officially unsupported, in favor of the
1.0 release and its corresponding stable branch.  The change logs for
0.1-stable (which include security fix information) are no longer on
the web site, however 0.1-stable is still available on the FTP mirrors
(for reference only) and will of course remain available via anoncvs.

Owl 1.0-stable already exists in the CVS (in fact, it's been started
prior to the 1.0 release this time) and will also be made available
via FTP once the need arises (that is, a critical post-release fix is
applied).

Development will continue primarily in Owl-current, although we might
make another release based on 1.0-stable as well.

--
/sd