a couple of friendly Owl security questions / comments

From: soso@private
Date: Sun Oct 20 2002 - 17:34:53 PDT

Hi All--

I am blown away by the high level of security in the standard Openwall 1.0
install - Amazing job to all concerned!  I have a couple of comments and
questions, though.  First, I had to `echo 1 >
/proc/sys/net/ipv4/icmp_echo_ignore_broadcasts`.  Is there a reason this
isn't done by default in order to discourage the use of Openwall boxes for
icmp DDoS attacks?  Secondly, I had to disable ctrl-alt-del reboots.
Though this is more of a "personal choice" issue, it seems that allowing
anyone who can get their hands on the keyboard to reboot the machine
(possibly with a nasty floppy or cdrom in the drive) is insecure.  And
finally, it would be nice if `wipe` or some other secure deletion program
were included in the distro :).

Thanks for putting together such a squeaky-clean distro.  Now I can sleep
well at night...

Steve Olszewski
soso at busymonkeyNOSPAM. dot org