Re: make buildworld troubles

From: Solar Designer (solar@private)
Date: Thu Nov 21 2002 - 06:04:34 PST

On Thu, Nov 21, 2002 at 03:18:32PM +0300, Oleg Lukashin wrote:

Hi,

> 	  I have a trouble doing make buildworld. it says undeadable kernel
> includes, but directory is avaiable.

Then the files under it aren't or the kernel hasn't been configured.
In another message you said you didn't build it, but did you configure
it?  The minimum that needs to be done is a "make menuconfig", you may
leave everything at defaults, but you do need to run it and save the
configuration.

If this is done with umask more restrictive than 022 (Owl defaults to
077), you also need to do:

su - sources
chmod 755 linux
chown -R a+rX linux/include

It is recommended that you do kernel configuration and builds as user
"sources", too.

> Also, why there is no packet named bind in 1.0 release ?

Because we didn't yet invest the time into making it match our
requirements for an Owl package (and it's much more than just the
packaging).  This clearly needs to be done.

> what is the best way to compile bind, can i find spec for bind somewhere ?

There're several alternatives to choose from:

1. Pick and use binary packages from Red Hat Linux 6.2 updates.  Or
rebuild them from SRPMs, but it doesn't make much of a difference.
This is the easiest.

2. Use BIND 4.9.x-OW, setting up its chroot jail manually (there's an
explanation of how this may be done).

3. Use ISC's latest in any of the three supported branches, building
it from source.  Preferably as non-root and with a chroot jail.

> when i try to compile bind from sources, i still get errors from /usr/include.

This sounds like the same kernel headers problem as above.  So just
configure it and make sure permissions are correct.

> what packet provides these includes ?

Several packages provide parts of the tree.  Most comes from
glibc-devel.  Of course, kernel headers also need to be provided, and
on Owl these aren't in a package (you just need to have configured
kernel sources in place).

--
/sd