Re: question on 2.4.20-ow0

From: Solar Designer (solar@private)
Date: Tue Dec 03 2002 - 18:53:46 PST

On Tue, Dec 03, 2002 at 06:50:56PM +0000, Kurt Johnson wrote:

Hi Kurt,

> Im not sure this is even the appropriate forum to pose
> this question, but anyway, I hope someone here can
> help me out on this :)

It's of little relevance to Owl, but as you've already raised the
topic in here I'd like to see any replies to go to the list as well.

> Im trying to apply 2.4.20-ow0 patch on top of
> 2.4.20-aa1 (Its vanilla 2.4.20 plus Andrea Arcangeli's
> -aa1), and it applies mostly cleanly, with some
> offset. I have only one reject, and it isnt apparent
> to me (mind you Im not the most skilled kernel
> programmer in the world) how to resolve it.

Well, you (or someone who might wish to help) need to investigate how
Andrea's patches set and use current->map_base and adjust my version
of the TASK_UNMAPPED_BASE macro accordingly.

Unfortunately, the lack of time is really bad here.  If I were to do
this patch merging myself, that would be unfair to all those waiting
for me to do lots of other things I have postponed, including some
related to these patches.

> Any sugestions/pointers would be much appreciated :)
> And please forgive me if it is not appropriate for
> this mailing list, I really dont know of anywhere else
> to ask.

There's currently no mailing list for just these kernel patches.  I
generally provide some support via private e-mail, but merging with
other unofficial patches is beyond it (I answer relevant questions
on my code, but that's about it).  Possibly I should in fact create a
dedicated mailing list for the patches.

--
/sd