Re: anoncvs, using pserver

From: Solar Designer (solar@private)
Date: Fri Dec 20 2002 - 06:26:30 PST

On Fri, Dec 20, 2002 at 03:19:04PM +0200, Sergey A. Ribalchenko wrote:
> On Thu, 19 Dec 2002, Solar Designer wrote:
>
> >> Is there is everything ok with anoncvs ?
> >
> >If you mean anoncvs.owl.openwall.com, then it just works for me at the
> >moment and the box has been up for 99 days.
> >
> >If you've run into a problem with it, please share it with us.
>
> Oh, I'm sorry.
> I'd downloaded an Owl-1.0-release-i386.iso.gz, installed a system from it
> and trying to do an update. From /usr/src/world/Makefile:
>
> checkout:
>         test "`id -u`" != "0" # CVS checkout must not be done as root
>         mkdir -p native
>         cd native && cvs -d:pserver:anoncvs@private:/cvs co -P $(if $(TAG),-r
> $(TAG) -d $(BRANCH) )$(MODULE)
>
> option -d is mine;

You shouldn't have patched it.  Rather, you should set CVSROOT in the
environment, -- and the full setting also includes the password for
"anoncvs", so it's:

export CVSROOT=:pserver:anoncvs:anoncvs@private:/cvs

> this produces an error:
>
> fisher@elf:~/cvs$ cvs -d:pserver:anoncvs@private:/cvs co -P
> -r Owl-1_0-release -d Owl-1_0-release Owl
> cvs [server aborted]: cannot write /cvs/CVSROOT/val-tags: Permission denied
>
> AFAIK, this is a server-side error.

True.  I've fixed it now.

But there's little sense for you to checkout Owl-1_0-release, -- you
already have that and probably want Owl-1_0-stable or current instead.

This may be done with:

make checkout TAG=Owl-1_0-stable

or:

make checkout TAG=

(The latter will get current.)

Note that all activity after the 1.0 release has been on current so
far.  I intend to commit stuff into 1.0-stable once there's the first
critical security or reliability fix needed.  I might also include
some not-so-critical fixes (tested in current) at the same time.

--
/sd