Re: [owl-users] owl 2 bind for 1.1

From: Solar Designer (solar@private)
Date: Thu Feb 23 2006 - 14:56:10 PST

On Thu, Feb 23, 2006 at 10:45:40AM +0100, Stanislaw wrote:
> for an additional socket there is '-a' argument of running syslogd.
> Solution would be a changed init script of syslogd.

I'm not sure how you would solve it like that.  The version of syslogd
on Owl 1.1 did not support listening on multiple sockets, and this
functionality is needed in order for named to continue logging even if
syslogd is restarted and named is not.  Would you patch syslogd's init
script to also restart named?  That would be a hack.

Of course, you can simply drop this stuff and be aware of the need to
restart named manually whenever you restart syslogd.

Andreas wrote:
> >Other than that, I agree with Solar. You should upgrade to 2.0 rather
> >than backporting things to 1.1.
>
> Is an old school type of employer that says, do not change the running
> system, and i agree ;)

Well, then maybe you should install BIND in the way you would have done
it before a BIND package appeared in Owl.  That is, download the latest
version from the ISC, compile it, and install it under /opt - without
the use of RPM and without our patches.

If you would like to use the Owl package of BIND, then I think that
upgrading to Owl 2.0 would be the most straightforward way - and it has
other advantages, too.

--
Alexander Peslyak <solar at openwall.com>
GPG key ID: B35D3598  fp: 6429 0D7E F130 C13E C929  6447 73C3 A290 B35D 3598

Was I helpful?  Please give your feedback here: http://rate.affero.net/solar